Vehicle Licensing

Registering Your New Vehicle

If you have recently bought a new vehicle, you are legally required to have it registered. This law also applies to off road vehicles such as dirt bikes and snowmobiles. At Ardiel Agencies, we have the experienced staff and forms required to guide you through the process.

Required documents to Register a New Vehicle

  • Proof of Insurance:  Obtain insurance from your insurance company. It is a government requirement that your vehicle is insured and Ardiel Agencies will not be able to register your vehicle with it. For convenience, your insurance documents can be faxed to our office at 403-995-3039
  • Bill of Sale:  A bill of sale or lease agreement from the seller of the vehicle is required to prove that you are the new owner the vehicle. Government regulations require that the vehicle must be registered under the name, or names that appear on the bill of sale.
  • Proof of Identity:  A Driver's License will generally be sufficient identification to prove that you are in fact, the person listed on the Bill of Sale.

If a vehicle is to be registered jointly, all parties should be named on the Bill of Sale and be present at the time of registration. If this is not possible, an authorization form is available for the person(s) who are not present to give permission to register the vehicle on their behalf.

All outstanding fines must be paid before we can register your new vehicle.

Motor Vehicle Registration Renewal

To renew your registration you need come into the offices of Ardiel Agencies. You will need to bring photo ID together with proof of insurance for the vehicle.

If the original copy of your insurance is unavailable you may contact your insurance company to obtain your insurance information: policy number & expiry date. Alternatively, your insurance agent can fax a copy to our office 403-995-3039.


Government regulations require that all outstanding fines be paid before your registration renewal can be processed.

Licence Plates

  • Personalized Plates:  Are you looking to make a statement or for a unique gift. A personalized plate from Ardiel Agencies could be what you're looking for. Call in today to check on the availability of and reserve your chosen plate.
  • Veteran Plates:  To honour Veterans, Alberta has introduced a veterans' license plate which can be used on any vehicle with passenger class registration. Eligibility is determined by: Royal Canadian Legion - Alberta-NWT Command. Application for a Veterans' Licence Plate.
  • Trailer Plates:  In order to have your trailer registered, you will need to provide a Bill of Sale & proof of identity. Insurance is not required to register a trailer and if you decide to sell your trailer, the plate should be kept upon sale.
  • Antique Plates:  An Antique Plate is used for a classic vehicle (25 years of age or older) which is only used for car shows and parades. If you intend to drive the vehicle on public roads, regular registration is required.
    To obtain an Antique Plate you must provide proof of ownership, insurance & identification to Ardiel Agencies.
  • Licence Plate Transfer:  If you've purchased a vehicle and wish to transfer an existing plate, the experienced staff at Ardiel can help you. Just call into our office with your Bill of Sale together with proof of insurance & identity.


Alberta is involved in the International Registration Plan, a registration reciprocity agreement among Canadian provinces and US jurisdictions. Rather than obtaining and paying for plates and registration in each jurisdiction, prorate offers the advantage of proportionate licensing in Alberta.

Ardiel Agencies is authorized to collect the amounts specified on Fee Notices, and issue the necessary plates, validation tabs, prorate registration and cab card.


Disabled Placards

A disabled placard enables those with the greatest need to use parking facilities that have been specially designated. Disabled placards are issued to persons who provide proof of eligibility. 

To apply for a placard, an application form must be completed by a physician, occupational therapist or physiotherapist then simply bring the completed form with an item of identification into the offices of Adiel Agencies.


Vehicle Information Reports

Before buying a used vehicle it may be a good idea to obtain a Vehicle Information Report which will provide the following:

  • The date and time of the report
  • Vehicle description - make, model, year, fuel type, style, colour & odometer reading if available.
  • Vehicle status - active, rebuilt, salvage, unsafe, non-repairable etc.
  • Registration details - date first entered on system, plate classification, registration history date & location
  • Lien information - the number of liens and other related instruments which are registered in Alberta and associated with the serial number

The Vehicle Information Report only shows information from the Alberta Motor Vehicle System. To obtain a report, simply call into Ardiel Agencies with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Intransit Permits

In order to move an unregistered vehicle from one location to another within Canada you will need an Intransit Permit. For travel within Alberta, proof of insurance and identification are required for a permit of 3 days maximum duration.

If the vehicle is being moved outside of Alberta, proof of valid insurance and a Bill of Sale are required. The duration of the trip will determine the length of time of the permit up to a maximum of 7 days.

An intransit permit may also be used during vehicle servicing or for test driving purposes.


Home  |   Vehicles  |   Drivers  |   Corporate  |   Land  |   Statistics  |   Health  |   Property  |   Insurance Services  |   Contact Us

© Copyright Ardiel Agencies. Box 40, 11 McRae Street, Okotoks. Website maintained by meta-logica